Thursday 26 November 2015

Chicken Sandwich with Jerk and Honey

Living in Toronto means being exposed to all kinds of culinary disciplines. I was fortunate to cook with many chefs and cooks of different cultural backgrounds and they taught me so much about their gastronomic heritages they brought from home. I have also been blessed with incredibly curious taste buds and have never ever turned down anything that I was offered to try. Although my culinary training 
was strictly based on French cookery, I find myself being tremendously influenced by other cuisines that I have been exposed to over the years of adventurous eating. 


This recipe was born in my kitchen on a chilly winter evening. I was craving something hearty, flavourful and soulful. And this dish hit the spot masterfully. I labeled it "my emergency TLC sandwich". Crispy buttered bread sweetened by a touch of honey to balance out perfectly cooked chicken, spiced with jerk sauce. Warm flavours of allspice, Scotch bonnet peppers, cloves, nutmeg, ginger and garlic - all traditionally used to make Jamaican Jerk sauce, caress your tongue with surprisingly sensual bites. It's that sweet torture for your taste palettes. It is spicy yet not overpowering so you can enjoy every single bite. I like to finish this dish in the oven, wrapped in foil paper because it helps to crisp up your bread and for all the flavours in the sandwich to marry together and reach their full tasty potential. Unwrapping it is like opening a present sent to you with love. It is fragrant, satisfying and filled with happiness... 



Ingredients:

2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, 4 buns of your choice (I prefer Kaiser rolls), 1 bell pepper, some butter, 3 tbsp honey, 2 tsp. Jerk sauce (mild or hot, your choice), 2 tsp. lime juice, 1 tomato, sliced, 2 tbsp. chopped parsley, 4 sheets of foil paper. 

Method:

Season your chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Sear in a frying pan for 5 min on each side. Preheat the oven to F400 and bake for 10 minutes. Let it sit for 10 minutes and then cut up in strips. 

In the frying pan where you seared the chicken, add julienned bell pepper and sauté for few minutes. To that add your chicken, jerk sauce, 2 tbsp. honey and some lime juice. Finish with some parsley. Turn off the heat.

Cut your bread rolls open and add some butter and a touch of honey to both sides of your bun. Add your chicken/bell pepper mixture and a slice of tomato. Top with the top part of the bun and wrap it tightly in foil paper. 


When ready to eat, preheat your oven to F450 and bake in foil for 10 minutes. Can be made the night before.

No comments:

Post a Comment